About Elaine’s Pet Resort
How we got started
Elaine’s Pet Resorts has been family-owned and operated since 1989 and is proud to be in its third generation of high quality family pet care. In the mid-1980s, Elaine Nestell was in search of a facility that she felt comfortable with leaving her pets when she was away from home. After she did not find perfect facility, she decided to design a resort where best friends could stay – a place she could leave her own pets with confidence.
Founded in 1989, Elaine’s Pet Resorts opened its doors on a warm summer day in July for business. After over 10 years of success with the original location in Fresno, CA, a second resort was opened in Madera, CA.
Elaine Nestell has always loved animals. Raised in South Dakota, Elaine moved to the Central Valley in 1950s. As a mother of two, Elaine’s career in banking took a backseat when she chose to pursue her dream of opening a pet care facility. Elaine’s passion for dogs also brought her to the competitive dog show circuit, where she competed with her award-winning German Shepherds and Bouvier des Flandres dogs for 20 years. Since retiring from the show ring, Elaine and her husband Bud devote their time to their three grandkids and to the daily operations of Elaine’s Pet Resorts.
As the second generation of the Elaine’s Pet Resorts family, Howard Nestell brought his extensive knowledge in business to Elaine’s Pet Resorts and was named Chief Executive Officer in 2000. Howard earned his degree in Business Administration from Fresno State and began his career in project management with a commercial real estate development firm. He served as a partner and executive at an interior design firm and construction company prior to joining Elaine’s Pet Resorts. It was in 2000, when Howard ushered the business into the new millennium by leading the design and construction of Elaine’s Pet Resorts’ second facility in Madera, CA. Howard has owned Irish Wolfhounds and Wirehaired Pointing Griffons. The most recent being the late, great Atom, whose paw prints you can see at the Madera resort’s courtyard sidewalk, the result of a two year old puppy running through wet concrete during construction.
Elaine’s Pet Resorts was founded and designed to be where best friends stay. Pets are our first priority! Here are a few reasons why pet owners choose Elaine’s Pet Resorts, and even drive from as far as Bakersfield and Yosemite, for our award-winning pet care.
- We come highly recommended by leading veterinarians in the Central Valley
- We provide safe, clean, private and spacious overnight accommodations for both dogs and cats
- Our guests receive care and attention from friendly, experienced and certified staff members
- We offer the Central Valley’s only supervised water park for dogs
- Luxury dog boarding rates start as low as $25.95/per night.
Sydney gets so excited when we pull up to Elaine’s Pet Resorts! We LOVE you Elaine’s!!!
Professional Affiliations & Awards
Elaine’s Pet Resorts is a proud member of the following organizations and certifying bodies:
- Central California and Inland Empire Counties Better Business Bureau
- Additionally, Elaine’s Pet Resorts has completed the Outstanding Pet Care Learning Center comprehensive curriculum for pet care facility training with classes and courses dedicated to helping pet care facility owners, managers and staff deliver the highest quality pet care.
Elaine’s Pet Resorts’ Awards
- Voted Best Pet Care in the Central Valley by the Fresno Bee’s People’s Choice Awards
Hours of Operation
Our lobby is open for pick-up and drop-offs:
- Monday-Friday: 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Sunday: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Reservation Specialists are available to take your call:
- Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed
We encourage you to visit us for a tour! We are open seven days a week and can show you around our facilities where your pet will stay and play. With two convenient locations in Fresno and Madera, our outstanding pet care facility serves pet owners throughout the greater Central Valley.